Sunday, September 29, 2013

Day 25 - Traveling to Utah via Wyoming

To Salt Lake City at EveryTrail
EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in Colorado

Miles: 450 miles
Time: 7 hours 30 minutes

Back on the long road again, this time from Ft. Collins to Salt Lake City! Jordan had to go off to work but Cei and I ventured out into the gray misty morning to have breakfast at the Wild Boar Cafe. Any place that sells their coffee in small, medium, large, “bucket” and bottomless refills is clearly the kind of place I want to frequent often! The breakfast sandwich and the raspberry white chocolate scone were both very tasty, made all the better by good company and conversation. :)

The drive itself was a lot of fun, it was exciting to be back on the road. Northern Colorado was full of gentle twists and turns up and down rolling hills, and it seemed shockingly soon when I hit the state line. As I crossed into southern Wyoming I remembered my giant list of podcasts waiting to be listened to, so the Splendid Table and ERcast kept me company for a while. I never knew Wyoming could be so pretty – it really is a very nice drive along I-80 with a lot of different terrains and landscapes. I did get a bit of an unpleasant shock when it started snowing. Snowing! September! Pumping gas in the snow was not something I expected to be doing quite yet in my trip, but there we have it – one of the many “firsts” on this trip, September 27th was the first day I got snowed on.

I arrived in Salt Lake and was welcomed into the beautiful apartment of Natalia and Ben. Natalia and I were good friends in high school, we'd stayed in sporadic touch over the years, and when she got married this summer we got back in closer touch. At their wedding they kindly invited me to come visit so I took them up on the offer :) Again with the feeling of “wow, my friends are adults!”- their apartment is 15 minutes from the mountains, with beautiful views, lots of space, and is packed full of books and movies, even Dali the parrot made the trek from Colorado to live here with them! It's a wonderful place to start their married life together, they both seem very happy with where they are in their lives, and of course that makes me incredibly happy for them! After I lugged my bag inside, Natalia and I went out for Indian and brought some home for Ben. We all settled in to chat and laugh for the next few hours with recordings of Dara O'Briain shows (spelled like that, he's hilarious if you haven't seen him!) before bundling ourselves off to bed with plans to sleep in nice and late.

Pictures from the day:
 Cei and Gnome
 Gnome and the "bottomless" coffee at Wild Boar Cafe
 I pulled over to program my GPS and saw this
 Misty rain in Northern Colorado

 First sighting of snow! In Southern Wyoming

 Away from the snow by the time I got near the Utah boarder
 Wyoming has a good amount of wind power going on, it was nice to see all the turbines

No comments:

Post a Comment