Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Day 16 - Sunshine is (in) Golden

Another beautiful day of drying out in the Front Range! I decided to jaunt up to Golden, home of the Coors factory, Colorado School of Mines, and lots of great art galleries, ice cream shops, cute stores, and a nice walk along Clear Creek. The creek was lower than last week but noticeably high, some of the paths were still blocked off and covered in mud and sediment. Still, the sun was shining, people were feeling cheerful, and I had a nice day of wandering and taking pictures of the many (many!) statues around town before retreating to the library to write my blog entry about yesterday. And then I came home and T and I made dinner! Good day all around, now early to bed.

The day in photos:
 Mural tucked between two buildings, with shoes found in the creek
 Last week T had a photo of those fish half submerged. The sidewalks are still blocked off and muddy, but it's so much better than it was
 Gnome the intrepid solider
 Gnome getting to chat with the giant butterfly
 Gnome napping with a very fluffy bear
 I'm thinking of doing a photo series of weird signs that make me giggle
 Extra! Extra!
 Let's go!
 At first I thought this was just a ladder set up outside, and then I looked closer and saw this
 I remember reading an article about why iPhones can capture this level of detail in movements, but I can't find it immediately, so please just join me in the moment of "wow, my camera phone can see that without it being a big blur!" Is it a moth? A very tiny humming bird? Not sure, but it was fun to watch :)
 The wings are curving!
 The quintessential Golden photo
A delicious dinner of spaghetti squash with homemade chunky tomato and vegetable sauce (thank you Peace Corps for perfecting that particular sauce recipe), grilled vegetables, grilled lavender-seasoned chicken, and fried green tomatoes. Yum!

3 comments:

  1. Wow it is... a moth/humming in perfect bliss! I want the recipe for the chunky tomato sauce. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mariel - it's very easy :) I usually saute a little garlic on a very low heat, then turn it up and add onion, bell pepper, diced tomatoes, a little tomato paste and water, whatever other vegetables I have in the house (eggplant, zucchini, etc), and season with any and all spices I have on hand, preferably things like oregano, basil (fresh if I already have it on hand), parsley, rosemary, garlic or garlic salt, pepper, and cayenne. I tend to get a little overly ambitious and make it much too early, but then I let it sit over very low heat until the rest of the food is ready so that everything kind of comes together nicely - it's chunky but easy to eat. Every time I make it it's a little different depending on what I have in the house, which is part of the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Thank you for the recipe :) I'm going to try it out with fresh basil and rosemary from the garden.

    ReplyDelete