Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Day 2 - Albuquerque to Santa Fe

Day 2 at EveryTrail
EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in New Mexico
Miles - 62
Time - 1 hour
A late night spent enjoying dinner with Christie's parents encouraged us to have a nice slow morning. We both felt very proud of the "real" breakfast we made (sausage and pancakes) because both of us so rarely cook something elaborate in the mornings. I left around 11am and by 12:30 I was in Santa Fe exploring the wonders of the Folk Art Museum - such a short drive today! The museum was a lot of fun, a permanent collection of folk art from around the world (including a blanket from Burkina Faso and a number of textiles from other West African countries), and three temporary exhibits - one on chocolate and mate, a small one on world-wide art responses to HIV, and one on Japanese kites and kite making. It was a very nice museum, small but well laid out and easy to look through, plus I got a few new recipes from the books in the Chocolate exhibit ;)

When I got to Santa Fe I decided to spend some time wandering around downtown looking at the shops and galleries. I stopped into a bar to get change so I could feed the parking meter and had a really nice quick exchange with two older guys at the bar, who clearly were partaking in their daily routine of meeting for a pint and chatting with the bartender. Part of me wanted to just stop and talk but another part of me said "you're in Santa Fe, go see it!". So off I went, striding around town taking photos of anything that caught my eye - it's a fun way to see a new place for sure, trying to find half-remembered places that we had visited when I was traveling with my parents about...10 years ago?

One thing I did notice was that I remember being perfectly content exploring a new place on my own, but on this trip I've almost felt compelled to talk to any and everyone I encounter, as though traveling alone has made me crave the company and bustle that my life in Tucson had. Going to museums and walking around town is still enjoyable, but is significantly more so with company, someone to point out oddities to or marvel at architecture with. I was half tempted to go back to the bar and talk with the two guys, but I was enjoying not sitting so I just kept wandering, stopping and chatting with store owners with only a little guilt at not buying anything. It's interesting to see such a big personality change in myself from just a few years ago - I like it but the fact that I'm noticing it while on a solo road trip seems a bit of a problem! At least I have my gnome and bear to keep me company ;)

The day in photos:
 "Real" breakfast
 Thank you for hosting us, Christie!
 Exploring the Folk Art Museum

 This scene reminded me of the display Kerry and I saw at the art museum in Tucson when she visited
 Can we please genetically engineer some cat-rabbit-horses?


 The Burkina blanket


 Just a few of the amazing kites - they had giant 12 foot tall ones and miniature 2 inch ones - all of which were intended to be flown!
 Outside one of the many art galleries
 Just in case you missed it, it's three inches, they measured
 St. Francis


 Someone made this really cool drawing and then left it on a branch

Outside the Loretto Chapel with the beautiful spiral staircase (this kind of reminded me of the "Mardi Gras" tree at the ski resort I used to go to)

1 comment:

  1. Mm... a chocolate exhibit at the Folk Museum? Did you get a taste? Fun!

    ReplyDelete