Thursday, December 12, 2013

Day 97 - It's still 80 degrees in December

And I'm wearing a dress - thanks to Katie for my new clothing while I do laundry/celebrate the heat! I'm sorry to hear that everyone on the east coast is snowed in - although I have a lot of friends who are teachers and seem pretty thrilled about the snow day - clearly you should all come to Florida where it's nice and warm ;)

Kerry and I were both really tired so we slept in and then had a nice puttering morning of breakfast and laundry. Her friend Lauren was hosting an "Origami Owl" party and I was eager to put some faces to the names I hear her talking about, so off we went. Lauren is the proud new mom of Xander, an adorable 2 month old baby boy, and they live with her boyfriend and her parents a quick 20 minute drive away. Even though I didn't know anyone I felt pretty at ease, especially as more and more folks started showing up. While Kerry and I didn't end up buying anything (Origami Owl is a sell-at-home jewelry line, like Mary Kay), we did have fun designing necklaces and looking at all the little charms you could choose from.

We ended up spending most of the day there, snacking and chatting with everyone. There's a food truck event at the Oviedo mall twice a month that Kerry wanted to check out, so even though we were both pretty full we went back to her house to pick up "Mama H" and go take a look. I ended up getting a tamale from Tamale Co, which happened to be on their second day of operating as a food truck, and I hope they make it because I would happily track them down next time I'm in town. Kerry got something called a chicken potato ball from Simply Divine, which turned out to be marinated chicken rolled inside mashed potatoes and fried. The trucks were closing up at 8pm and we'd arrived at 7:30, so when we went back for a second potato ball, the cook took a liking to her and sent out not just another potato ball but an entire entree bowl of meat and vegetables! Good things come to those who smile and show up near closing time ;)


 Driving to Lauren's
 Orlando has lakes and waterways everywhere - you're constantly reminded that this is actually a pretty swampy area
 Baby cuddles are the best
 Kerry and Mama H investigating the food truck offerings
 Kerry with the guy at Simply Divine
 The cook protested when I took their picture together ("hey, the extra food was my idea!") so I took his picture too
 They had set up a little eating area with tables and chairs, and even a stage where a girl was singing country covers of top 40 songs (she was good)
 It's kind of weird being here in Florida in December - there are reminders that Christmas is coming, but it's a little like Burkina in that the heat somehow makes you forget much easier than when you're anywhere else
Kerry and I watched very old Rick Steves travel episodes while she decorated a wreath for her room

No comments:

Post a Comment