Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Day 113 - Christmas Eve

Tuesday I woke up early to go feed Tenga - I'm not usually much of an early morning person these days, but it was nice to be up and about before most of the rest of the city. Tenga and I had fun romping around the yard and the house a bit to warm up, then it was time for me to go back across town to family. My relatives all had plans, so my parents and I decided to go get some last food items for Christmas dinner and then go wander around Magazine Street in the French Quarter.

Magazine Street is a long stretch of restaurants, shops, and houses in one of the oldest parts of the city, so it offers a good deal of entertainment on a sunny weekday. We got coffee at Community Coffee (a local chain), then stopped for lunch at Joey K's (as featured on Diners, Drive In's, and Dives, although we didn't know that until we got inside, Papa just knew it was a well known place to get lunch). We did enjoy their famous red beans and rice, and all of the Simon K painted signs. After lunch we spent a good deal of time in the antique store, then decided it was about time to head home. Mom and I went on a walk around the neighborhood, then I went back to Emily's to take Tenga on a walk around her neighborhood and introduce her to Chelsea, a friend of Emily's who would be taking over on pet sitting the next afternoon. After I got home it was a pretty quiet evening - I made a lime mousse for dessert, Mom and I started a few of the dishes for the next day - it was a very nice way to spend Christmas Eve with family in our favorite place, the kitchen. :)

Morning driving to see Tenga
Tenga!
Emily's super awesome Burkina-themed pillow that I desperately wanted to take with me
See, we can be friends! Or maybe she was just cold and I was a source of heat...
This sculpture piece I kept driving past
Oak trees on Magazine Street
A mural not far from my aunt and uncle's house
These water meter covers are turned into all kinds of art - paintings, coasters, jewelry, etc
Joey K's

The Simon K "As Seen on TV" sign
Cool artwork in the antique store

Aluminum bear head, anyone?
Merry Christmas, from Mum and Papa!
Mossy tree roots
Tenga investigating the yard

Annual Christmas Eve photo - Conner, Sarah holding Maggie, and Brett
Papa
Mum

No comments:

Post a Comment