Thursday, December 12, 2013

Day 96 - To Oviedo

To Oviedo at EveryTrail
EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in Georgia
Distance - 452 miles
Time - 8 hours

Another longer drive - it's nice that I'll at least be in Florida for a while :) Laura was scheduled to go into work pretty early but kept getting delays due to weather, so I actually ended up leaving first to go meet Tana for breakfast at the Highland Bakery. Tana and I were in the same training group in Burkina - she and I were health volunteers, while her husband Chad was a small business volunteer. I was sorry to have missed him - he's currently working in DC! Some days it's hard to keep track of who ended up where, especially when I'm visiting cities for such short periods of time. Tana is almost finished with her first semester in the midwifery program at Emory - it's almost exactly the same kinds of programs that I'm applying to, just with a different focus.  I loved getting to ask her about her classes and the kinds of things she was learning during this first year that prepares you for the master's level work by getting your RN certification. I love what I'm doing right now and don't want to rush it, but I'm glad that I'm also looking forward to starting school again.

It had been shockingly warm in Atlanta the day that I arrived and the day we were walking around (in the 70s!), but this morning it had taken a turn for the chilly and I had to dig my coat back out of the pile on my backseat. If you're looking for a place to get breakfast while in Atlanta, the Highland Bakery is a good bet. The french toast was so thick that it was a bit dry in the middle, but the brown butter syrup made it worth ordering, and the eggs Benedict was no-frills but exactly what we both were hoping for. I resisted the temptation to take away an entire box of the delicious looking pastries that they had in the entryway, but if you go please try one of those little cinnamon rolls and tell me if it's as good as they looked?

Then it was time to be on the road! Driving and singing and talking and driving, heading towards Orlando and my friend Kerry. We met in Burkina, she was the training group ahead of mine and when we met in the Transit House she declared that we were going to be friends, and we were. When I got back from Burkina a year ago she came to see me in Tucson (before I knew where anything was, so we discovered it together) and now I'm finally getting to return the visit. She's currently living with the parents of one of her childhood best friends (when she's not with her funny and cute new boyfriend), so I met her there and happily settled into their guest room. Kerry is this sweet, smiling, irrepressibly cheerful person who feels her friend's emotions deeply and isn't afraid to tell you how she feels if you ask for her opinion (a very helpful quality in a friend!). She's absolutely one of the strongest people I know and simultaneously manages to wear her heart on her sleeve and yet remain pretty private when she wants to. Before Peace Corps she had a degree in public health and worked in a bank, now after a very stressful year of job hunting she has finally found an amazing job working for an HIV/AIDS community nonprofit managing caseworkers - right up her alley!


 Yum!
 Bad lighting but cute photo
 We asked a guy standing outside to take our photo, but first he took a photo of his dog :)
 With Tana
 He also took a picture of this adorable kid, who I don't actually think was his - I promised to not put up the full face picture that came after this one, but he was a pretty cute and friendly little kid
Cats know that I'm destined to be a crazy cat lady - this one stopped to say hello and then followed me halfway to my car looking for more attention

No comments:

Post a Comment