Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Countdown Begins - 3 days

As this week has unfolded I've started to see how this trip is, in many ways, like moving (if only because I suddenly have to fit my blessedly small wardrobe into the trunk of a car). I'm a big ball of emotions, a lot of "OHMYGODI'MSOEXCITEDFORTHISTRIP!" mixed with "I can't believe I'm crazy enough to leave such a cool town and all of my awesome friends, even if it's only for 4 months, don't start crying now because you're in the grocery store and that's embarrassing", and a good dash of "Trip? I have waaay to much to get done, I'll pack tomorrow..."

When I was getting ready to go to Burkina I think I had unpacked and repacked all of my suitcases several times at this point. Granted, moving for 2 years with only 2 suitcases to a country an ocean away from the nearest Target encourages significantly more thoughtful packing! My strategy thus far has been to make a list on my phone that I add to whenever I think of something else that might be handy.

But that's not to say that there haven't been any preparations going on! Here's what I've been up to the past week:
 Breakfast with my wonderful friend Maddy (if we look confused it's because it's hard to take a self-photo on a phone, this was one of about 20 attempts on our two phones) ;)

 Played with Katie, an adorable cat that I'm pet sitting for
Had breakfast for lunch with my parents at The Crying Onion, home of the delicious GIANT blueberry pancakes
Shopped for roses at the nursery with Barbra and learned more about beautiful desert plants
Said hi to my favorite Siamese kitties - this is Lucy demanding some attention by flopping on my foot
Updated the GPS (a generous gift from Kim and John - thank you!) - the Zinfandel was absolutely a necessary part of the process
Before I left village to undertake the bumpy, dusty, only slightly hazardous trip to Ouaga (the capital of Burkina Faso), it kind of became a tradition to paint my toes. This turquoise blue quickly established itself as the favorite "traveling toes" color. I guess this means I'm heading back out on the road again!

I have a new friend here in Tucson who went on a road trip and took photos of "Bobble-head Jesus" at iconic locations along the way. She generously offered to lend him to me for my own adventure, but I think I have a couple of ideas and would love to have your opinion. Should I take the protective Norwegian gnome (he's pretty cute, essentially a knit hat with a nose, beard, and feet)? The solar-powered hand waving Queen Elizabeth? The MHC crew-inspired beanie baby moose? Or my childhood stuffed polar bear who once was white and fluffy but is now grey and floppy with love and travel?

1 comment: